Sunday? Saturday? Does it matter what day? Shopping? No shopping? Restaurants? No restaurants?
After realising I had become too caught up in regulations and was frustrated, prompted by a friend I decided to spend some time studying.
This is some of what I found:
I started by looking at Exodus 20: 8-11 and researching some of the hebrew words and their meanings.
“Remember the Sabbath (1) day by keeping it holy (2). Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested (3) on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. "
(1) Other (Shabbath).
(2) Sanctify, hallow, dedicate, holy, prepare, consecrate, appointed, purified (qadash).
(3) drawing breath, to rest, settle down, be quiet, open space (nuwach).
The Sabbath should be a day different from the others. The Sabbath should prepare us for what God has for us, it is a time to step back and listen, a time to seek Him and His plans and purposes. To let him prepare us whilst consciously giving God space to shape us.
This afternoon I made a list in preparation for my Sabbath.
What Sabbath looks like for me:
Fewer plans, more space.
I like plans and being organised but I realise that that can get in the way of the still small voice. On my Sabbath I will create space to listen.
Fewer trashy TV shows, more documentaries.
I love trashy TV but I know it does me no good. On my Sabbath I will watch things that grow and inspire me.
Fewer handshakes, more hugs.
Physical touch is my lowest love language which means if you get a hug from me you are incredibly important to me. On my Sabbath I will spend time with friends who input into my life.
Fewer emails, more Bible study and prayer.
Goodness knows how many emails I receive and send in a week. On my Sabbath I will check my emails minimally and in turn have an extended time of devotion.
Fewer cups of coffee, more cups of tea.
Recently I have started drinking a lot of coffee. Although I like it I know it does my body no good. On my Sabbath I will drink more herbal tea and generally try to be healthier.
Although Sabbath is a command for a specific day I want it to become a lifestyle. A lifestyle of reflection and preparation where time is given regularly to pause and refresh.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen