04.10.2009

Węgrów week 4

Being ill in a foreign culture is a strange thing!
This week I have been fighting with a cold, sometimes winning, sometimes losing. It has made me thing about the way different cultures handle being ill.
At home in England I remember being given Paracetamol and being told "You'll feel much better when you are out in the fresh air". This was the cure for everything!
In Germany, I remember Teammates regularly getting Krankgeschrieben (being written off sick), a thoroughly new concept to me. This also seemed to be the cure for everything!
Here in Poland, it's a bit different! I can happily say,almost without any exaggeration that I have swallowed more tablets in the last week, than in my whole life (well, apart from the Paracetamol back home)!
What is the best way of dealing with colds? I'm still not sure, but I can say that I feel a whole lot better after taking a walk today... maybe I can find some Paracetamol somewhere too :o)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen