10.03.2011

Iron

Saul and his son Jonathan and the men with them were staying in Gibeah in Benjamin, while the Philistines camped at Mikmash. Raiding parties went out from the Philistine camp in three detachments. One turned toward Ophrah in the vicinity of Shual, another toward Beth Horon, and the third toward the borderland overlooking the Valley of Zeboyim facing the wilderness.

Not a blacksmith could be found in the whole land of Israel, because the Philistines had said, “Otherwise the Hebrews will make swords or spears!” So all Israel went down to the Philistines to have their plow points, mattocks, axes and sickles sharpened. The price was two-thirds of a shekel for sharpening plow points and mattocks, and a third of a shekel for sharpening forks and axes and for repointing goads.

So on the day of the battle not a soldier with Saul and Jonathan had a sword or spear in his hand; only Saul and his son Jonathan had them.

1 Samuel 13:16-22


My name is Sally and I am a comparer.


During my studies I loved comparing different literary texts: looking for similarities, differences, trying to find common messages and images within them. I enjoy comparing prices and picking up the best deal. But I also have tendancies to compare myself to others in an unhealthy manner. Looking at their skills, giftings, looks, family, whatever and wishing I could swap. Forgetting what God has given us as individuals, we all tend to be like this.


I read the passage from Samuel whilst away last week at a discipleship seminar and it brought a few thoughts to my mind.


Israel had no weapons. The Philistines had robbed them of the ability to create swords and spears. Sometimes situations and life robs us of certain things, maybe through not having certain experiences or opportunities. This didn't stop the Isrealites though. They used what they had, their farming equipment, and developed it into to something useful for another purpose. They didn't give up and shrink back from what was before them feeling ill equipped, but rather they got creative with what they had. What are the things that I assume are of no use? Can I creatively use them to built the kingdom of God?


God gives us what we need for the tasks and plans He has for us but often we need to sharpen our strengths, we need to develop our giftings and stop comparing ourselves with others.


One thing I nearly overlooked in this passage is where the Israelites got their weapons sharpened. "So all Israel went down to the Philistines to have their plow points, mattocks, axes and sickles sharpened." Now that is an interesting thought! The Israelites went down to their enemies to have their weapons made.
How often do we as the church, as christians, discount things for being worldly. Are we overlooking methods or practises which could be useful in advancing the kingdom?


It also makes me think of "iron sharpening iron" and the times when my non christian friends have challenged me in my thinking, maybe even more than my christian friends.


Praying that God would give me opportunities to sharpen my weapons.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen