The Adventure Continues...
Autumn 2011
August 2011 is a month that will never be forgotten. Sadly it wasn't due to an excessive heatwave but rather due to a wave of violence which hit cities across the England. Riots, the youth of our nation. Politicians have tried to pin-point the causes: greed, materialism, poor parenting, high unemployment, boredom. The blame has been passed around: parents, schools, welfare system, youth workers, social media. No one seems to have come up with a solution. Great Britain does not seem so great anymore.
After this dark time I am aware more than ever of the privilege and responsibility it is to work with young people in the capacity that I do. I could come up with some grand sociological theory, I could invest in and develop a well thought out stategy to improve the behaviour of young people but really it is much more simple than that. I carry the hope of the world within me: Jesus. Where I go He goes, where He goes I go. I believe that Jesus can transform lives bettter than any scheme, system or project. I believe that he is able to restore and to redeem the young generation.
As I commit to another year of serving youth full-time and for the first time in my home country, I am excited about the difference that can be made. The Pais Project (www.paisproject.com) is committed to meeting young people where they are, in local schools and inviting them to join in our journey with the Maker of the universe. You can be a part of this movement too. I am currently looking for financial supporters. This is a brilliant opportunity to get involved in this vision and to invest in the youth of this nation! If you are interested please contact me and I can send you a supporters pack.
Team
Since September I have been living in Clitheroe, Lancashire. I am leading a team of volunteers, who tirelessly invest in young people, are committed to seeing change and bringing hope into local schools and communities. My team consists of Brittany Clem (19) from Seattle, USA and Jonas Siewert (20) from Stelle, Germany. Three different nationalities but the team works really well and is such a blessing!
Spotlight
Each week the Team goes to a local high school to support their after school programme. It has quickly become one of my favourite times of the week! We don't run any specific clubs or activities, our main role is to talk with the young people and I love it!
Every time we have been in this school we have had deep conversations in which the pupils have given us insight into their lives. One boy told me how in year 7 he had tried to commit suicide. He felt like he just didn't fit in and was bullied constantly. Today, two years later he still struggles with being an outsider and openly said that he doesn't see the purpose of his life. I was able to talk to him and encourage him to search for the things he enjoyed doing, the things that he felt he was talented at. It was an opportunity not necesarily to talk to him about Jesus but to talk to him like Jesus would have done. During our conversation I could see hope flowing back into him.
This autumn please join me in praying that:
- the team will grow in unity.
- that we would grow in reputation in the local schools.
- that I would continue to settle in in Clitheroe and become intergrated in the local community.
Thank you for your love and support!
Sally xx
Thanks for the update Sally! Sounds like a very interesting year the team will be having. Looking forwards to hearing more again soon. I hope to find time to pray for your needs. All the best! Andrew Sweet
AntwortenLöschen